Flex your science writing skills – the creative kidney competition
Interested in sharing your kidney research story? Fancying flexing your writing skills? Then listen up!
If you’re a budding writer, a kidney research scientist with a story to tell, and you reckon you might enjoy winning a trip to New Scientist Live 2020 in London, then this is the competition for you. You see, the thing is, your science and your experiences are awesome. More awesome than you probably give them credit for. And that’s why we want you to share them in our creative kidney competition.
Are you currently working in kidney research? Maybe you’re a fresh PhD starting off in the proximal convoluted tubule of academia. Or perhaps you’re a long-in-the-tooth research veteran being squeezed down science’s ureter like a wise old kidney stone. Either way, we want to hear from you. We want your wisdom. The things you wish you knew. Your nightmares at the bench. Your genuine eureka moments. And we want to get them out to the world, to the public, and to other researchers.
If we like what we read, you could win yourself tickets to the spectacular New Scientist Live 2020 event in London this October.
What do we actually want?
We want you to write a short article about your time in kidney research. It has to be a real story (no hoverboards and lab androids – sorry). Ideally, it should inspire other scientists or those who might get involved in science – or at least entertain them!
- 1,200-word limit
- UK English (keep it clean)
- Pitch it for a lay audience
- Add as many images as you like (make sure you own these images, though – Unsplash is your friend)
- Ideally, include a picture of yourself, a short bio (who you are, what you do, where you work – 50 words max), your blog if you have one, and your social handles if you have them and want them shared
Submit your entries to email@example.com with the subject “creative kidney competition”.
The deadline for entries to the competition: 31 June 2020
Winners will be announced by the end of July.
What’s in it for you?
The limelight! Internet fame! That warm fuzzy feeling that comes from helping your fellow humans! Oh, and FREE TICKETS!
- Two tickets to New Scientist Live 2020
- You article published on our site and shared across our social and channels*
- The opportunity to a follow-up article that highlights your research and lab in more details –maybe even a regular spot if that’s your thing
- The two runners up will have their articles published on our site and shared across our social and channels*
*We’ll promote through social channels as well as going out in our newsletters. All articles will be fully attributed to you, and we’ll even link to your blog if you have one. We’re nice like that.
What are you waiting for? The world wants to hear about your life in science!
If you want to be kept in the loop for the research that’s happening, funding opportunities, events, and all that science goodness, sign up for our quarterly Research Roundup email.
The privacy essentials
We promise to keep your details safe. We will never sell your information to a third party. If you change your mind about your communication preferences or want to stop receiving communications, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0300 303 1100.
Get our Research Roundup enewsletter
Stay up to date with the kidney research news, research events and ways to get involved.